Saturday, November 25, 2006

An essay in 25 photos or less, plus a Thanksgiving checklist.


-
The butcher shop where we bought our turkey.



-
It was tiny inside.



-
Ben, Keren, and the 10 kilo (22 lb!) bird.



-
Dressing the bird.



-
Yeah, it was big. Real big.



-
Ben looking dapper in an apron.



-
Broth.



-
Potatoes.



-
Sage stuffing.



-
The presented bird.



-
Ben showing off his mad carving skillz. (Safda Sarah looks skeptical.)



-
Dinner.



-
Malackas had some too.



-
Afterward.



-
Dessert: apple strudel a la mode.



This year, I'm thankful for:

__All those Saturday afternoons I spent as a kid in the kitchen with Dad.

__Europeans agreeing that vowels are useful components of language.

__The man who invented the gin martini. And, well, gin in general.

__M1 Radio to go!

__My ability to read. 'Took it for granted until I was illiterate in a language.

__Living near a park so I can work off all the nutella I've been eating.

__Cheap international calling plans.

__Epicurious.com (yes, I need to go jogging for this too).

__Generous and loving parents (of all categories: biological, legal, surrogate).

__Good friends + kind strangers.

2 comments:

sweet p. said...

_ I am thankful for having a great husband that's selfless enough to share his best friend [the other head of the two-headed beast: Merzig & DeMoron] with his wife [moi].

_ And I am thankful to have a mocosa in my life - someone has to hold me to a higher standard.

keren said...

there's a saying in Hebrew, "ein ha'nachtom me'id al issato" - אין הנחתום מעיד על עיסתו.
this saying means, that the baker shall not talk about the quality of his dough (or something of the sort).
SO, since i didn't cook anything that friday, i can tell you all that thanksgiving meal was AWESOME. and i think that i speak for everyone in my family.
the turkey was delicious, cooked to perfection, so moist and full of flavor. too bad that the smell can't be converted to bits and transferred over the web... :) the house smelled wonderful all afternoon, which made us all even hungrier. my taste buds are contracting right now, just from re-living the experience.
yummmmm!!!!
i can't believe you are not expert turkey cookers.
will you come to cook for us in the US next year?!

i am thankful for having you guys over, and for giving me a taste of what will become part of my life now. yummm!
-keren